Why is This Texas Lake Thriving Despite Low Water Levels in Others?

The lake levels in Central Texas remain significantly lower than historical averages.

102.3 The Bull logo
Get our free mobile app

However, one lake stands out with its current capacity of 72%! So, what factors contribute to this exceptional level, and could it potentially assist other lakes in the region?


Conservation Pool

According to Max Strickler, the Lead Civil Engineer at the US Army Corps of Engineers, the conservation pool of Lake Whitney currently stands at 72% capacity. Out of this, 78% is under the jurisdiction of the Southwestern Power Administration for hydropower generation, leaving only 22% in the control of the Brazos River Authority for water supply purposes. These two entities jointly manage the release of water from the Lake Whitney conservation pool.

Strickler highlights that Lake Whitney's water levels appear relatively high when compared to other Central Texas lakes, and there are several contributing factors. He explains, "Each lake possesses its distinct watershed, and rainfall is highly localized. A significant rainfall event in the Lake Whitney watershed can cause its water levels to rise, while the same event might not impact the Lake Waco watershed."

Upstream Reservoirs

One of the significant factors, as Strickler points out, is the ownership and operation of two upstream reservoirs, Possum Kingdom and Granbury, by the Brazos River Authority (BRA). The BRA occasionally releases water from these reservoirs, which eventually flows into Lake Whitney.

However, when Lake Whitney has an excess of water, can it provide assistance to other reservoirs as their levels drop? While there are no downstream dams for Lake Whitney to refill, Strickler suggests potential solutions. "One option is to release water from Lake Whitney into the main stream of the Brazos River for downstream users," he explains. "This could reduce the need to release water from other reservoirs such as Lake Limestone, Lake Granger, or Lake Somerville."

Readiness for Future Droughts

Ultimately, the primary objective is to maintain an empty flood control pool in the multipurpose reservoir while keeping the conservation pool full. Strickler emphasizes, "When the conservation pool is at full capacity, recreational facilities, including boat ramps and lakeside parks, remain open. Maintaining the conservation pool as close to 100% full as possible ensures readiness for future droughts."

Check out the video below:


Max Strickler, Lead Civil Engineer at the US Army Corps of Engineers, discusses Lake Whitney's water levels, the influence of different entities on its conservation pool, and the potential for using Lake Whitney to support other reservoirs in times of excess water, all with the goal of ensuring readiness for droughts and maintaining recreational facilities.

Top Ten Trashiest Towns in Texas

Time to take out the trash or show off the trash of Texas. Check out the top ten below. (All crime statistics were pulled from www.neighborhoodscout.com based on each individual town. See editor's note for Lufkin, Texas.)

Adios Texas! Here Are The Ten States Former Texans Move To

Moving away from Texas is always a daunting thought. But where do the former citizens of Texans go when they leave? The top ten is right here.

13 Fun Attractions That are Free to Visit in Texas

Here is a look at some really fun activities to enjoy with friends and family in the state of Texas that won't cost you anything.

More From 102.3 The Bull